Tuesday, September 18, 2007

There's White People, There's Dogs, And Then There's Human Beings Like Us

There's not much about West Virginia that I know. To me, it's one of those random states that folks forget about, only to be reminded of every year or so when folks get trapped and die in coal mine disasters. Ironically, I have some ties to the state. My great-grandfather was an economics professor at the then HBCU, West Virginia State University. As a result, my grandmother was born there (though she was a DC-girl til her death), and she then attended WVSU where she later met my granddad.

Back in 1934, my great-granddad published a book The Negro Citizen of West Virginia. Hard to imagine that was almost 75 years ago and we now see that some things haven't changed at all there.

While I do think that the goings-on in Jena, Louisiana are important and do require our sympathy and action, I think that the sister in West Virginia should be garnering more national attention, more outrage, and more legal action than those teenage boys in Jena. Because the fact of the matter is, although those boys have been treated unfairly, they did break laws (as well as some of the whites there) and will ultimately have to pay whatever the cost is for that. People need to realize that once you've broken a law, non-peacefully, can you not then try to negotiate or finagle your way out or around it.

This young woman in West Virginia was kidnapped, raped, sodomized, tortured, and forced to eat animal feces by six White men and women for almost a week. Read more about it here. The major injustice with this crime is that, although all signs point to a hate crime, folks down there have decided against pursuing the charge. Based upon the fact that this woman supposedly had a "personal relationship" with one of her assailants. Maybe, I can understand not pursuing a hate crime with the one person. What about the other 5? Moreover, the whole ordeal screams "hate crime", because, essentially, wouldn't you have to really hate someone to do something so horrific to them?

Forgive me, but after hearing this, I really could have cared less about some teenage boys sittin up in jail cells in Louisiana. I can't begin to explain how much the whole situation in Jena doesn't pale in comparison to what this woman has endured.

White folks, for an entire summer, jumped up and down screaming about Michael Vick being brought up on charges of dog-fighting. So much to the point, that even a Senator of West Virginia, Robert Byrd, threw in his 2 cents on the matter.

Mind, you that was just one minute of the 20 minute old man spat he gave on the floor of the Senate.

Here's what he had to say about one of his own state's residents being tortured.

...

::crickets::

...

::crickets::

Yea, Robert Byrd hasn't made a peep. And how ironic that this Senator was once a member of the Klan? Of course he doesn't have anything to say about it. Clearly he cares more about the welfare of dogs than one of his own human constituents, just like the rest of these other tired White folks.

Oh, I'm not done. Some of us Black folks are in the wrong too. Sitting up in a jail cell has nothing on being tortured for a week. Why aren't we wearing colors, calling radio stations, signing online petitions, and traveling to West Virginia to show that we care about our sister? Why is she being treated less important? Considering what she's been through, don't you think she should be granted all the love, care and attention that she needs?

All of us, Black, Whites, whatever need to see where our heads are at and get our minds right.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I take great issue with this post. You are comparing apples and oranges, the Jena 6 is no more or less important than what happened to the young woman in West Virginia. What happened to her was a heinous crime and the law enforcement up there is handling the situation, no one is ignoring it. Now, these children, the Jena 6, have been ignored for over a year. Mychal Bell has been in jail, a juvenile in an adult facility, since December of 2006, that in and of itself is a terrible thing. As for them committing a crime, yes they got into a school yard fight and they should be punished but not put away for the remainder of their lives or for a large piece of them. The law enforcement in Jena, LA, unlike in West Virginia were not only ignoring what was happening to these kids but helped it along, so that's why there are rallies, and protests, and shirts, for them. So if the law enforcement is doing their job, we don't need t-shirts and protests, after all what would we be protesting? A job well done? I didn't think so

C. Gabi said...

Anonymous,

Perhaps this will help you understand why I have made such a fuss about this case in West Virginia.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070912/ap_on_re_us/woman_tortured

Job well done, eh?

Lola Gets said...

I liked this post! Really made me think. I hope you dont mind, but I linked this post to one of mine. Please come and see.
L

Naturally Sophia said...

I love your blog and this post in particular. I am adding you to my blogroll too. No question! Keep up the good work.

-NS

Anonymous said...

I agree Megan Williams case appears to be moving along correctly. I update on this case daily at my site, BUT, with the last prelim hearing Thursday it has been determined they will NOT go after hate crime charges as she was having a "social" relationship with Booby Brewster. The grand jury will hear this case in January 2008, and a rally is being held by the New Black Panthers on October 27, 2007 in WV.

The media has failed to continue the coverage on Megan and that's why the internet has stepped in.

As for Jena Six, what people continuously fail to realize is that they HAVE TO FACE THE SCHOOL CHARGES, except it will now be in the correct court, juvenile court. What was done to Mychal Bell, charging his as an adult was wrong!!! That's why there was a protest march in Jena.

The prosecution for Megan is seeking the maximum charges with kidnap and rape which carry life sentence and 35 years for the rape.