American Gangster or the Colts losing to the Patriots?
I think I'll go with American Gangster.

I mean, of course, the Colts losing to the cheating-ass Patriots was upsetting and disappointing, but, without question, it was a spectacular game and certainly lived up to the hype.
I only wish I could say the same for American Gangster.
The movie was extremely underdeveloped, in that, I didn't feel like I got the whole story of Lucas. It didn't talk about how he ended up in Harlem from North Carolina, it never talked about how Bumpy Johnson came to be his mentor. It could have gone deeper into the dynamics of the relationships with his 5 brothers and how their operations worked. A multitude of things needed further explanation, and some stuff really could have just been left out.
Although the movie wasn't about Nicky Barnes or whoever fine ass Idris Elba was playing, I definitely thought a little bit more time could have been spent on explaining their characters and their roles/contributions to building the Lucas empire.
Plus, the movie was ridiculously long for it to not have been that tight. That joint was almost 3 hours long! It was almost as bad as the time my dad made me go see the third installation of Lord of the Rings (without my having seen the first two) and sitting there lost as hell and bored to tears. I mean, even Chitty Chitty Bang Bang had an intermission!
So, if I had known the movie was just going to be "eh", I would've opted for Seinfeld's "A Bee Movie" or go see Tyler Perry's joint again--between the two of them, I could probably watch both movies in the same amount of time I watched American Gangster.
I think I'll go with American Gangster.

I mean, of course, the Colts losing to the cheating-ass Patriots was upsetting and disappointing, but, without question, it was a spectacular game and certainly lived up to the hype.
I only wish I could say the same for American Gangster.
The movie was extremely underdeveloped, in that, I didn't feel like I got the whole story of Lucas. It didn't talk about how he ended up in Harlem from North Carolina, it never talked about how Bumpy Johnson came to be his mentor. It could have gone deeper into the dynamics of the relationships with his 5 brothers and how their operations worked. A multitude of things needed further explanation, and some stuff really could have just been left out.
Although the movie wasn't about Nicky Barnes or whoever fine ass Idris Elba was playing, I definitely thought a little bit more time could have been spent on explaining their characters and their roles/contributions to building the Lucas empire.
Plus, the movie was ridiculously long for it to not have been that tight. That joint was almost 3 hours long! It was almost as bad as the time my dad made me go see the third installation of Lord of the Rings (without my having seen the first two) and sitting there lost as hell and bored to tears. I mean, even Chitty Chitty Bang Bang had an intermission!
So, if I had known the movie was just going to be "eh", I would've opted for Seinfeld's "A Bee Movie" or go see Tyler Perry's joint again--between the two of them, I could probably watch both movies in the same amount of time I watched American Gangster.

4 comments:
I feel the same way! Everyone is so in love with the movie but I think it could have been done much better. It simplified the story. But that is Hollywood for you.
ps, you've been tagged. Check out my blog for details.
I can see where you're coming from with the lack of Frank's brothers (not to mention I was too hyped about Common for the little time he was in) and character development in general. I think Ridley Scott might have been trying to tackle too much, but I was still very entertained by what I saw. Denzel Washington plays a great bad guy, and the whole Serpico feel of Russell Crowe's act was refreshing.
I saw American Gangster last night, and I loved it! The fellow I went with had read the book, and I think Ill do the same.
L
Whoops, I didnt read your post too clearly, did I??
LOL
Well, I defenitely see the various points, but Ill be honest, Id never heard of this man before, so I have no idea what info was missed.
But I still loved all the fine-ass men in the flick!
Ahahaha!
L
Post a Comment