Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Keys, Please?

The Cost of Free Valet Parking

As one of my political science professors, Dr. Wilson, used to always say, "there's no such thing as a free lunch", so is the case with "complimentary" valet parking.

For those of you who've been reading my blog regularly, you know I had knee surgery 2 months ago and have been rehabbing in physical therapy since. These physical therapy visits happen twice a week, in between doctor's visits. The spot is up at the hospital--which provides "free valet parking" for visitors.

Trust, I do take advantage of these services every time I roll up there because if I was left to my own devices to find a parking space, I'd either be paying out of my ass or not finding a space at all. I feel kinda guilty because I don't tip the valet guys primarily because
1. I rarely carry cash on me
and
2. I'm up there so often, that they could easily make a good 20 bucks off of me in one month.

Like I said before, there's no such thing as a free lunch!

So, I'm walking out of physical therapy today, I hand the dude my ticket and wait for homeboy to swing the car around. As I'm waiting, a nice old lady pulls up in her Ford station wagon, and hops out of her car to go into the hospital. I'm sure as she pulled up to the spot and saw the "free valet" sign, she thought to herself "what a relief, I don't have to spend time finding a space or walking far". As this woman, probably somebody's grandma, was walking behind her car to enter the building, one of the valet guys decides to just be extra reckless and guns the engine, and backs over this old lady!!!!

Poor lady! Her face was all bloody, it was so horrible. Everyone was just standing there in shock and disbelief. Thank God he didn't kill her, and definitely thank God she was at the hospital so she could be seen and treated right away.

So much for the free valet parking, right?!

It's real out here, I guess I need to make sure I keep some cash on hand before I get run down.

4 comments:

Leoninatl said...

Whoa! What a sad story! Thank God that lady didn't get killed.

Umm, yeah, I think I'd have some extra dollar bills around just in case from now on...Oh, and thanks for adding my blog! I did get tagged a few months ago though. I might make another one in a few days though...

Lola Gets said...

Hey, I finished the Meme! I hope you come back and see it, seeing as I frightened you with the previous post, lol.
L

Shimada Boyce said...

That's messed up! But what's so bad is that once it was determined that the old lady was ok... I would have probably laughed to myself.

I have issues.

Holla.

Marleaux said...

Omgness. Yeah, that’s just wrong. Glad she’s ok though.

BTW, I had foot surgery a few months ago. The dr gave me a temporary handicap placard for my recovery. If you haven’t asked about it, you should do so. It’s a big help. And most malls and shopping area don’t require that handicaps pay for parking. So it’s a win/win both ways.