It was with great displeasure that I read Talib Kweli's and Common's comments in a recent CNN.com article written about Barack Obama's popularity in the hip-hop community. Y'all already know how I feel about Obama, so I'm not even gonna waste time on that. Common's comments to me, were just like, ok whatever. But Talib, oh Talib, if I've never felt more disappointed with hip-hop artists, I certainly feel it now.
I think the general consensus is that Talib Kweli is among a group of rappers that are deemed "socially conscientious", almost like an extension of the Native Tongues Posse. This seems to be a label that Kweli wears proudly...yet he doesn't vote. I don't know about y'all, but I have a serious problem with that.
I am certain that Kweli isn't the only member of the hip-hop community that doesn't vote, but if it means me making an example out of him, I will. I'm not about attacking rappers and lyrics. I think rap is art imitating life, and it is what it is. I have problems with people, in general, not voting. But I especially have an issue to take up with hip-hop entertainers who probably spend hours, days, weeks, and months in the studio and on tour exercising their first amendment right to freedom of speech...yet your sorry ass can't put aside one day every 2-4 years to vote?
And the best excuse Kweli could give was "the political system is broken". I guess the political system with magically "fix" itself the day we all decide to stop voting. There is nothing more "broken" about the current political structure than there was before...if anything, the fact that our Black asses can vote without being hung from a tree the next morning, or having to explain what random shit in the Constitution means is proof enough that some things have been resolved. I guess the fact that people fought, marched, and died so that he could reap the benefits of a recognized citizen means nothing. And if the political system is, in fact, "broken", should he not be the change that he wants to see?
More importantly, this begs the question "how effective are the Hip Hop Summit Action Network and the Vote or Die campaigns?" Why are artists being chosen as panelists in an effort to encourage and mobilize hip-hop lovers to register and go out to vote, when they don't themselves? We all have social obligations to one another in our own right. Moreover, because I view music as food for the soul, I think musicians have an even stronger obligation to its listener base. The fans buy CDs because they like what they hear and they support you and your lifestyle. Kweli seems to have no problem basking in the limelight when it comes time for the video and album cover shoot, and being interviewed, but when it comes time to be a socially responsible and do something as simple as voting, that doesn't rank on the list of important things to do.
So guess what I don't think is all that important...buying your wack ass CD, Talib.
On A Lighter Note
Today is one of my best friends', Jennifer, birthday. She's celebrating the Big 2-4. She's probably going to shoot me for putting her picture up here but you know, I do things in the moment and ask for forgiveness later. As of post time, she's probably at school, teaching her new class of kids for the school year. I'm suprised they even like her! Just kidding..she's great!
So for Jen's marvelous day, I will post a video by one of her favorite artists, who she has worn into the ground (and probably due to this, his career has yet to be fully resurrected). Happy Birthday!
No one flows as smooth as you, Silkk.

2 comments:
when i think about it i don't know anyone in my close circle of friends n fam who vote.....one would aso be lead to beileve that talib is a voter but i guess not
I enjoyed reading your articles.....until I saw that picture of me posted (I almost choked on a grape), I have so many other pictures you could have posted. Anyhow, I'm loving your blogg, please make sure that your talents are shared in printed press also. Get on it. Thanks much....
P.S. My students love me, because I put so much love and invest time in them. I can see it in their actions and behavior that love for self is becoming an important part of their lives.
I miss my 8th grade graduates, but look forward to building bridges with my new babies.
--Jennifer
Post a Comment