Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Support-A-Cause: The Dance Theatre of Harlem

Morning Ladies!

This week's support-a-cause is The Dance Theatre of Harlem.

DTH, was originally founded in 1969 in Harlem, NY in a garage on 152nd street to give children of color exposure to the arts. In 1971, they made their formal debut at the Guggenheim Museum in NYC.

DTH was the first American dance company to perform in Russia as a part of a cultural exchange program throughout the 1980's and gained even more ground in the 1990's. It has given hundreds, possibly thousands of kids a chance to express themselves through this form of art!

Unfortunately, since 2004 the Dance Theatre of Harlem's dance group has stopped performing, although they continue to serve the community through their Dancing Through Barriers Program.

Simply put, there is not enough public funding to provide their wonderful fruits to every child in the Harlem community (and beyond).

So that's where you brave new girls come in!!! Whether you attend a DTH function or write a check, it is important to continue to give every child and member of the community that DTH serves the opportunity to engage in culturally stimulating activities.

The Dance Theatre of Harlem holds a particular place in my heart because, back in the day, yours truly used to get her dance on in Ms. Cloud's ballet class! (I will spare you all my pictures). Some of my fondest childhood memories are of my mom and I either riding the train or driving over to Harlem from Connecticut on Saturday mornings to dance class. If I could afford to give every little girl and boy that same opportunity, I certainly would. But for now, I will do it the best way I can by spreading the word and attending any performances when I come to NY.

If you want to donate, or just learn more info about The Dance Theatre of Harlem, check them out here

No comments: