1. Bad food.
2. Bad service.
3. My table and/or seat not being clean.
And to be honest with you, I've had few if any "hot ass mess" encounters with the restaurants here in The Mil (many, though, in Atlanta, but that's another post). There aren't many upscale restaurants here, let alone ones owned by Blacks. So, after being away from home for awhile, I was happy to see that this spot was open.

First of all, I'm tryin' to figure out why this spot is called Soche-Milwaukee, like there's more than one location.
Secondly, the food here is nasty and wack. There's like 10 things to order from on the entire menu, so you're practically stuck ordering something you probably don't have a taste for and will eventually end up regretting you ordered.
So, um here's the story. My homegirl and I stroll in there on a Saturday evening, primarily because we refuse to pay $15 to get into African World Festival and it was raining on top of that! The place is pretty much empty, which really should've been the first red flag, but you know, we figured the less crowded, the better.
We sit down, peruse the menu, and order two cokes. Our cokes were flat/too syrupy. And at that point, we realize that we're not feeling anything on the menu and will just take our check with the 2 drinks on it and leave.
Strike 1: Our total came to $5
$5 for 2 carbonated drinks? That tasted like they never even went through the process of carbonation. Wow. We paid anyway, and made our way to the exit door. Somehow unbeknownst to us, the chef, the waitor AND the bartender must've teleported to the door, and stopped us in our tracks. And so we stood there for 10 minutes being interrogated as to why we were leaving, what was wrong, and what could be done to make our "Soche-Milwaukee" experience better.
We were convinced to go sit back down and were told that anything we wanted, we could have. We put in our orders and eagerly await for these 3 gentleman to dazzle us with food and drink.
Strike 2: Our food comes out wrong, and nasty, and the Cokes are STILL syrupy and flat
Given the fact that this spot is NOT busy at all, you would think the chef would seemingly have nothing better to do BUT get the order right. And the bartender, who "promised" us he'd fix the soda machine (or whatever the hell he was getting our drinks from) would actually get something as simple as a flat Coke right. God forbid if I ordered an alcoholic drink. I can only fathom the type of condition I'd be in. And so my homegirl and I work grudgingly through our meals, because we had worked up an appetite, and were looking forward to the highlight of our meal, which was supposed to be dessert on the house. The dessert turned out to be okay (go figure, it was on the house).
Then the thinkable happened (which seems to be the case in most Black owned establishments). The check comes and...
Strike 3: The check is wrong
First of all, for the food to have been as nasty as it was after we already tried to leave on the premonition, alone, that it was going to be, I kinda feel like they shouldn't have charged us diddly squat for any of it. But of course, you know, I didn't want to be the indicative black customer, trying to get over on people. What I do have the problem is the fact that they overcharged us for the dog shit they brought out to us. Then charged us another $2.50 for the NON-CARBONATED-drink-that's-suppoed-to-be-carbonated. So I had to ask, "um, isn't this a free refill?", then the waitress replies "no".
Oh my God...see, I knew we should've gone to Applebee's!
We were just like, you know what, that's cool, don't even worry about it. And because our waitress was soooo nice, we left her a tip that was basically twice the amount of our bill.
So, word of advice. If you ever find yourself in Milwaukee (God forbid), or if you already live here and haven't been to Soche. DON'T GO!

1 comment:
Thats the latest trend in DC restaurants too; a small menu with limited options.
FYI, I LOVE flat, syrupy sodas!
lol
L
Post a Comment